Buying a new house is equally as stressful as it is exciting. If you are in the process of buying a new property, you may be feeling somewhat overwhelmed by all of the different factors that you have to consider and organise. You may also find yourself wondering whether it is worth getting in touch with a roof expert to perform a survey (otherwise known as an inspection or roof report) on the condition of your potential new property’s roof before you make the big purchase. Fortunately, we’ve put together a small guide on why a roofing survey is particularly important when buying a new property.
Is it worth having my roof surveyed?
The short answer to this question is: yes. Having your roof surveyed when buying a new property can save you a lot of money and stress further down the line. Many people choose to get a home buyers survey and an additional roof survey.
Undergoing a professional roof inspection will identify any issues and problems within the roof of your new home, allowing you to fix them before they get any worse or cause further damage to the property. During a roof survey, the following will be inspected:
- Guttering and rainwater systems
- Roof structure
- Roof covering
- Chimney stacks
- Valleys and gulleys
- Ridge tiles
- Roof windows and skylights
Following the inspection, a professional will highlight any issues within the roof and be able to best advise you on the next steps to take. Just a few issues that can be identified include:
- General wear and tear. Over time, a roof may become damaged from rain, wind, snow and UV rays. During a roof survey, a professional will be able to identify areas of general damage that may otherwise be overlooked by an untrained individual.
- Water ingress or leaks. A professional roof expert will be able to identify any small signs of water ingress early, meaning that the water issue can be dealt with before it worsens. While some roof leaks are extremely obvious, other forms of water damage can be almost impossible to spot with the naked eye. This is why it is best to get a professional inspection.
- Points of failure. There are a number of potential points of failure for any roof – from exposed insulation, to holes in the roof, to rotten roof decks. Some of these issues can threaten the structural integrity of the roof and building and therefore need to be detected and fixed immediately.
Only a professional roof expert can thoroughly inspect a roof in a way that all undetected problems will get the required attention. What may seem like a perfectly good roof to you, or someone else, may in fact be a roof riddled with issues and faults. Following a professional roof report, you can make an informed decision on whether you want to go ahead with the home purchase or search for another property with less damage and issues to fix.
At Cooper & Williams, we have a team of roof experts who can perform a survey on the condition of your roof when buying a new property to ensure that you are making a wise and informed decision. We also offer other roofing services in Shrewsbury including roof repairs and commercial roofing. For more information about what we offer, visit our website.